Earthquake Strikes Maine!
At 7:22 pm this evening, a 4.0 (adjusted drown from a 4.6 around 8:45 pm by USGS) magnitude earthquake struck southern Maine. We are getting reports that it was felt as far south as Rhode Island, but I suspect we will hear more reports as the hours progress. I actually spoke to my family in Western Massachusetts and they did not feel it. Here is the location and specifics per the USGS...
43.611°N 70.661°W depth=5.0km (3.1mi)
- 5km (3mi) W of Hollis Center, Maine
- 21km (13mi) NW of Biddeford, Maine
- 21km (13mi) NW of Saco, Maine
- 22km (14mi) WNW of West Scarborough, Maine
- 83km (52mi) ENE of Concord, New Hampshire
- 3/21/1904 Southeast Maine - Magnitude 5.1
- 10/2/2006 Maine - Magnitude 3.8
If the preliminary data is correct, then this is the second strongest earthquake in recorded history for Maine!
If you ever have any questions, please remember I can be reached on facebook easily! Just follow the link below to my facebook page and click "LIKE"!